Sustainable Tourism in Curacao
The Ocean Encounters Pledge for Sustainability
What exactly is happening?
We all want to give a helping hand to help the environment. With each passing year, we see new challenges. Here are 5 of the biggest threats to our ocean.
- Water pollution coming from improper sewage treatment resulting in contaminated waters that harm our marine life.
- Plastic pollution coming from land-based or marine sources. Land-based sources include mismanaged waste and inadequately disposed plastic waste. Marine sources include fishing fleets that leave fishing nets, lines and ropes behind.
- Water temperatures getting higher. Marine animals are twice as likely to lose their habitats due to climate change as they have fewer ways to find refuge from the heat and are less capable of adapting to a warming planet.
- Reef damage due to toxic sunscreens. A 2015 study found that just a small amount of sunscreen containing oxybenzone builds up in coral tissues, affecting especially juvenile coral and causing DNA damage, abnormal growth and increased susceptibility to bleaching (causing eventual death).
- Ocean acidification due to excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Some organisms will survive or even thrive under more acidic conditions, but others will struggle to adapt and may even go extinct. Ocean acidification affects fishing, threatens food security, as well as tourism and other sea-related economies.
What can we do?
There are different ways one can lessen the impacts on the environment. Here are some simple steps you can take at home. Be conscious of the waste you produce and minimize it. Use less energy by turning off electronics when you are not using them, use energy efficient appliances and light bulbs. Refuse single use plastic in your day to day life.
At Ocean Encounters, we believe in educating, setting an example and making a change.
It is for this reason, that we have committed to making a strong eco-friendly presence with our green initiatives and have taken these to another level with our #OEPledge, our commitment to sustainability.
The #OEpledge shares the many different ways we have been involved in protecting the local waters, marine life, and community.
Stream2Sea Products available in our retail shop
There’s no better place to start off your idyllic Curaçao vacation than at LionsDive Beach Resort. With a cozy, casual atmosphere set amidst a stunning tropical